Glossary of Key Terms
- AGL Capitol AGL Capitol Corporation
- AGL Networks AGL Networks, LLC
- Atlanta Gas Light Atlanta Gas Light Company
- Bcf Billion cubic feet
- Chattanooga Gas Chattanooga Gas Company
- Credit Facility $1 billion credit agreement of AGL Capital
- EBIT Earnings before interest and taxes, a non-GMP measure that includes operating income and other income and excludes financing costs, including interest and debt and
income tax expense each of which we evaluate on a consolidated level; as an indicator of our operating performance, EBIT should not be considered an alternative to, or more meaningful than,
earnings before income taxes, or net income attributable to AGL Resources Inc. as determined in accordance with GAAP
- ERC Environmental remediation costs associated with our distribution operations segment which are recoverable through rates mechanisms
- FASB Financial Accounting Standards Board
- FERCFederal Energy Regulatory Commission
- Fitch Fitch Ratings
- Florida Commission Florida Public Service Commission, the state regulatory agency for Florida City Gas.
- GAAP Accounting principles generally accepted in the United States of America
- Georgia Commission Georgia Public Service Commission, the state regulatory agency for Atlanta Gas Light
- GNG Georgia Natural Gas, the name under which SouthStar does business in Georgia
- Golden Triangle Storage Golden Triangle Storage, Inc.
- Heating Degree Days A measure of the effects of weather on our businesses, calculated when the average daily actual temperatures are less than a baseline temperature of 65 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heating Season The period from November to March when natural gas usage and operating revenues are generally higher because more customers are connected to our distribution systems when weather is colder
- Henry Hub A major interconnection point of natural gas pipelines in Erath, Louisiana where NYMEX natural gas future contracts are priced.
- Jefferson Island Jefferson Island Storage & Hub, LLC
- LNG Liquefied natural gas
- LOCOM Lower of weighted average cost or current market price Magnolia Magnolia Enterprise Holdings, Inc.
- Maryland Commission Maryland Public Service Commission, the state regulatory agency for Elkton Gas.
- Marketers Marketers selling retail natural gas in Georgia and certificated by the Georgia Commission
- Mcf Million cubic feet
- MGP Manufactured gas plant
- Moody’s Moody’s Investors Service
- New Jersey BPU New Jersey Board of Public Utilities, the state regulatory agency for Elizabethtown Gas.
- NYMEX New York Mercantile Exchange, Inc.
- OCI Other comprehensive income
- Operating margin A measure of income, calculated as operating revenues minus cost of gas, that excludes operation and maintenance expense, depreciation and amortization,
taxes other than income taxes, and the gain or loss on the sale of our assets; these items are included in our calculation of operating income as reflected in our consolidated statements of
income. Operating margin should not be considered an alternative to, or more meaningful than, operating income as determined in accordance with GMP
- OTC Over-the-counter
- Piedmont Piedmont Natural Gas
- Pivotal Utility Pivotal Utility Holdings, Inc., doing business as Elizabethtown Gas, Elkton Gas and Florida City Gas
- PP&E Property, plant and equipment
- S&P Standard & Poor’s Ratings Services
- SEC Securities and Exchange Commission
- Sequent Sequent Energy Management, L.R.
- SouthStar SouthStar Energy Services LLC
- Tennessee Authority Tennessee Regulatory Authority, the state regulatory agency for Chattanooga Gas.
- VaR Value at risk is defined as the maximum potential loss in portfolio value over a specified time period that is not expected to be exceeded within a given degree of probability
- Virginia Natural Gas Virginia Natural Gas, Inc.
- Virginia Commission Virginia State Corporation Commission, the state regulatory agency for Virginia Natural Gas.
- WACOG Weighted average cost of goods
- WNA Weather normalization adjustment