We are proud to be a partner in the communities we serve. We strive to maintain a keen sensitivity to issues affecting our communities and our business. We show our dedication and corporate citizenship through our various foundation grants, community outreach programs, and other corporate charitable giving programs.
We serve customers in Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, New Jersey, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia – and support non-profit organizations* in these communities. Please note that Nicor Gas, our Illinois utility, manages a separate corporate giving program. Click here for a link to that program.
View our service territory >
|Currently, the Foundation is accepting grant requests only from organizations that have been invited to apply by the Foundation.|
Targeted Areas of Philanthropy
To make the most meaningful impact in our communities, Southern Company Gas focuses on distinct areas of giving. Grant request received outside our targeted areas of philanthropy will not be considered.
Grants in these categories will be considered in Q1. Requests due by 1.15.16
Grants in this category will be considered in Q2. Requests due by 4.15.16
- Education – The Path to Social Mobility and Enhanced Opportunities Includes Education and Career Readiness. Our primary focus is on institutions that offer areas of study important to our business and from which we are interested in recruiting students for our future workforce.
- Environmental Stewardship – Natural Gas is a Cleaner Fuel Alternative. We are committed to protecting our environment. We invest in nonprofit organizations with programs that contribute to clean air, conservation, and green space.
- Diversity – The Many Facets of Our Diversity Make Our Company Better and Our Communities Stronger. We invest in both organizational and supplier diversity programs that promote diversity and inclusion opportunities, education,
and access to resources for the under-served and under-represented individuals and businesses in our workforce
Grants in this category will be considered in Q3. Requests due by 7.15.16
- Community Enrichment – Strong Communities Depend on Good Citizens Working Together. We invest in nonprofit organizations with programs that contribute to the vitality, sustainability and livability of our neighborhoods.
- Energy Assistance – A Healthy and Stable Community is a Thriving Community. We invest in United Way, energy assistance programs and nonprofit organizations with programs that provide individuals in our communities with the
basic necessities as well as promote stability and wellness.
|Note: The Foundation can consider grant requests only from those organizations classified as 501(c)(3), tax-exempt by the IRS. The Foundation does not contribute to individuals, religious organizations, or private K-12 schools.|
|TIME DOES NOT PERMIT INDIVIDUAL MEETINGS WITH AN ORGANIZATION PRIOR TO SUBMITTAL OF GRANT REQUESTS. ONCE REQUESTS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED AND REVIEWED, YOUR ORGANIZATION WILL BE CONTACTED IF WE HAVE ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS.|
Guidelines and Application for Grants >
* The Foundation can consider grant requests only from those organizations classified as 501(c)(3), tax-exempt by the IRS. The Foundation does not contribute to individuals or religious organizations.
Back to Top